Grey Globetrotters contains affiliate links and is a member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. If you purchase using one of these affiliate or Amazon links, I may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more information.
If you’re looking for some travel inspiration, check out these 34 perfect quotes about Yorkshire – a vast English county full of surprises, where there is always something different to enjoy.
Yorkshire, the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and the Bronte Sisters, is a sprawling and picturesque county with abundant charm, culture, and history. That’s probably why so many visitors are drawn to Yorkshire year after year and why there are so many inspiring and quotable quotes about Yorkshire!
You don’t have to look too far to see why people fall in love with “God’s Own County”. Surrounded by breathtaking countryside, incredible history and culture at every turn, Yorkshire leaves a firm imprint on your soul.
I hope you love this list of quotes about Yorkshire as much as I do – just don’t be surprised if these quotes and sayings about Yorkshire make you want to visit Yorkshire straight away!
34 Inspirational Quotes About Yorkshire, UK
Reet, let’s jump straight into the good stuff. There are a lot of beautiful quotes about Yorkshire, so you’re bound to find one that works for you – perhaps as inspiration for your next trip or to caption your next Instagram post!
1. West Yorkshire is quite dramatic and beautiful, the crags and things” David Hockney
2. “What do yer want to go to London for? It’s nowt but 20 Doncasters end to end.” Lesley Garrett’s father, Derek
3. “Yorkshire people are first and foremost friendly and we do things without much fanfare. We are understated and love the countryside here. One of the special things about Yorkshire is that a lot has not changed. You can go to the Dales and, apart from the fact there are now more cars, they’ve not changed for 20 years and you go back after another 20 and there’s still no change.” Alistair Brownlee
4. “I come from Beverley in East Yorkshire, and no one there would step outside their front door, or even their back door, on a Saturday night – or any other time, for that matter – unless they were dressed to the nines.” Anna Maxwell Martin
5. “I am Batley and Spen born and bred, and I could not be prouder of that. I am proud that I was made in Yorkshire, and I am proud of the things we make in Yorkshire. Britain should be proud of that, too.” Jo Cox
6. “Staying in luxury hotels still gives me a kick, especially Oulton Hall in Yorkshire. I’d stay in a hotel for the breakfast and room service.” Jimmy Carr
7. “East Yorkshire, to the uninitiated, just looks like a lot of little hills. But it does have these marvellous valleys that were caused by glaciers, not rivers. So it is unusual.” David Hockney
8. “When I moved to Sheffield and went to a secondary modern in the seventies, there were certain challenges: if you’ve got a name like Sebastian, you either learn to fight or to run.” Sebastian Coe
9. “I look back with the greatest pleasure to the kindness and hospitality I met with in Yorkshire, where I spent some of the happiest years of my life.” Sabine Baring-Gould
10. “I love the honesty of people from Yorkshire. When you’re trying to test material, you want people to let you know if it’s funny or not, and here they’ll definitely let you know!’” John Bishop
11. “People from Yorkshire are very proud of their underachievement. You see these old fellas in the pub going: ‘I’ve had a great life, me. Gone nowhere. Done fuck all. Aye.” Paul Tonkinson
12. “There are mates of mine in Sheffield who think I’m a big ponce, but that’s because of the acting I do, not because I live in London.” Sean Bean
13. “I love to be with my kid in Yorkshire. I love it there.”Sean Bean
14. “Being from Yorkshire is as much a state of mind as a geographical fact” Liam Allen
15. “I don’t do impersonations. I can do a wounded elephant! I can do a really good cow! And because of the amount of time I spent in North Yorkshire, I do a variety of sheep. All of which I will be happy to roll out for you!” Patrick Stewart
16. “Everyone’s always shocked that I’m still based in Yorkshire, but going home there is my sanctuary. Home is where the heart is, and my mother, sister and brother are there, and my partner.” Jane McDonald
17. “The musical heritage of Yorkshire is deep and wide” Lesley Garrett
18. “I was born in London in 1947, after the war. A real wartime baby. I went to school in Brixton, and then I moved up to Yorkshire, which is in the north.” David Bowie
19. “My mum’s from Yorkshire and my parents aren’t snotty or posh – they’re very hard workers, both of them.” Sally Phillips
20. “I went through a stage of writing my cramped hand in tiny books. My two sisters and I did have our Bronte period. My mum is from Yorkshire, and we would go up to the Moors. It tapped into our romantic visions of ourselves.” Rachel Joyce
21. “Yorkshire weather can turn quickly. At one Auld Lang Syne race, it dropped to -16C. The frost turned everybody’s hair grey. I couldn’t take my shoes off, as my laces had frozen solid.” Jonathan Brownlee
22. I am never at my best in the early morning, especially a cold morning in the Yorkshire spring with a piercing March wind sweeping down from the fells, finding its way inside my clothing, nipping at my nose and ears.” James Herriott
23. “I remember getting hit in the ribs when I was on about eight or nine in my first game, and everyone rushed over, quite concerned. The umpire said to me afterwards, “If anyone had appealed I would have had to give you out LB!” I ended that innings about nine not out off about 15 overs. I was already digging in – Yorkshire style.” Joe Root
24. “When I was about 14, in about 1984, I decided to become a great poet. Faber & Faber was going to publish me, and when Ted Hughes read my first anthology he would invite me to Yorkshire for meat pies and mentorship.” David Mitchell
25. “As a child growing up in a grey-skied Yorkshire village, I would occasionally happen upon a Bollywood movie on the television. After a few minutes watching a bunch of sari-clad dancers cavorting on a Swiss mountain to tuneless music, I would switch over to some proper drama about housing estates and single mothers.” Simon Beaufoy
26. “My big toe alone is the size of Yorkshire.” Andrew Marr
Yorkshire Food and Yorkshire Pudding Quotes
27. “Every time I buy produce from one of my food heroes I never fail to get a thrill. The meat, for example, from Lishmans of Ilkley makes you realise why great roast beef and Yorkshire pudding depends so much on a quality butcher like David Lishman.” Rick Stein
28. I come from Yorkshire where we like to eat chip sandwiches – white bread, butter, tomato ketchup, and big fat french fries cooked in beef dripping.” Helen Fielding
29. “I cannot stand when you go to a wedding and get fed tiny portions. I want everyone to have a good feed on my wedding day, so I plan on having several types of sausage, mash, and gravy up for grabs. Every guest will have a Yorkshire pudding, too!” Jon Richardson
30. “I was in Yorkshire. We were a family of five and I used to be sent sometimes to get the rations for the week and I was easily able to carry them back. It was like one egg and a tiny bit of tea.” Dame Judi Dench
31. “I couldn’t really take a girl from Berlin to live in Leeds. I love it here. I miss the Yorkshire sense of humour and things like bitter and Yorkshire puddings, but I can still get my hands on salt ‘n’ vinegar crisps.” Sam Riley
Yorkshire Tea Quotes
32. “I wanted to feel at home so I’ve brought Yorkshire Tea Bags in my suitcase, as well as my slippers!” Michelle Keegan
33. You have to have a bag of Yorkshire tea bags. It is the best tea that England has to offer, and that comes with me everywhere I go.” Felicity Jones
34. “I like Yorkshire Tea – very strong and English.” Elsa Peretti
Do you love travel quotes? I’m a little obsessed with them! If you love travel quotes too, check out these:
- 134 Awesome Quotes about Travel to Inspire Your Travels & Your Instagram Captions
- 72 Perfect Quotes on Germany
- 56 Awesome Quotes About Egypt
And there you have it! I hope these quotes about Yorkshire inspire you to explore Yorkshire. Have I missed any Yorkshire quotes that you think should be included here?
More Yorkshire content to help you plan your trip:
- Discover the Most Beautiful Towns in Yorkshire, including Skipton, Knaresborough, Harrogate and Boroughbridge
- Explore Yorkshire’s great cities, including York and Leeds, and the tiny city of Ripon
- Learn Exactly What to Pack for Yorkshire
Like this post? Pin and save for later