Bertie, my Sprocker spaniel, is a huge part of my life and I’m always looking for dog-friendly restaurants near me where he is welcome. The great news is that the lovely town of Harrogate in dog-friendly Yorkshire is full of folk who love dogs.
There are lots of dog friendly restaurants in Harrogate to choose from, so Bertie and I have done the work for you, and after many glasses of wine, pub meals, and afternoon teas, I have pulled together my completely unscientific list of the best eateries in the area, that also happen to be dog friendly.
About The Harrogate Area
The elegant Victorian spa town of Harrogate, in North Yorkshire, is perenially popular with tourists who flock to the town to enjoy its beautiful gardens, boutique shops, fabulous original Turkish Baths, and proximity to the Yorkshire Dales. They come too to unwind at Harrogate’s excellent pubs, cafes and restaurants.
Discover the best places to stay in Harrogate here.
These tend not to draw the same crowds as Harrogate, and they are some of my favourite towns in Yorkshire – I love pottering around those quiet hidden gems where Bertie and I can pause for a while to ponder and people watch with a pot of Yorkshire tea and a slice of frighteningly good cake. Even better if I can take Bertie with me!
Here’s my list of the five best dog friendly pubs and restaurants in Harrogate and the nearby area.
Best Dog Friendly Restaurants Harrogate
This guide includes the very best dog friendly pubs and restaurants in Harrogate, where you and your furry pal will get a warm welcome, splendid food, and no snarky looks!
Best Dog Friendly Pub Harrogate – The Travellers Rest
The atmospheric 17th-century Traveller’s Rest is perfectly located on the 20-mile circular Harrogate Ringway walk, but fear not – you don’t have to do the walk to pop in for something to eat.
Four-legged friends are greeted with a warm welcome, doggie treats and a water bowl. The staff will spoil your pooch with lots of fuss, and ear scratches too!
Bertie loves it here as he’s allowed in the historic old bar and there are lots of interesting places to sniff!
Top tip: Park in the car park just beyond the Fodder Farm Shop on the Great Yorkshire Showground, Railway Rd (HG2 8NZ), and take a gentle 5-minute stroll to the pub.
The scenery is lovely, and you’ll definitely be grateful for the chance to stretch your legs after eating, as the portions at the Traveller’s Rest are generous.
Go to The Travellers Rest for…
- Tasty, locally sourced food – Sunday lunch is simply fabulous, and the teen boy was super impressed with his burger!
- The warmest of welcomes for your doggo
- Miles of beautiful country walks right on the doorstep
Best of the Dog Friendly Hotels in Harrogate – The Old Swan
The Old Swan is perfect when you don’t just want to eat with your furry friend but want somewhere lovely to stay, and it’s one of the most famous hotels in Harrogate!
The Old Swan was the bolthole where Agatha Christie, the mistress of crime-writing, was discovered after she famously disappeared in 1926.
Located in the heart of Harrogate, the splendid Old Swan is very dog friendly.
Go to The Old Swan for…
- Seasonally-changing menus that feature only the best local Yorkshire produce
- Posh dining with your pooch in the main bar area and a lovely welcome from Maisie the resident dog
- Fantastic walks on the doorstep, plus gorgeous gardens surrounding the hotel for your doggo to roam, sniff and play
- Proximity to the town centre, so you can dine around at other nearby dog friendly pubs and restaurants in Harrogate
Best of the Harrogate Dog Friendly Cafes – Hoxton North
Go to Hoxton North for…
- its absolutely lip-smackingly good menu
- the super friendly staff who adore dogs
- the fantastic location – moments from the 50+ independent shops, boutiques and eateries in the Montpellier Quarter
- dogs are allowed in their interior and exterior spaces
More Brilliant Dog Friendly Eateries in Harrogate
It was a tough call to choose the three top spots! Bertie and I agreed that there were more than a few other great places to mention:
West Park Hotel
Location: 19 W Park, Harrogate HG1 1BJ
For something a little upmarket, you can’t go wrong with the lovely West Park Hotel where dogs are very welcome. The friendly and attentive staff are happy to provide a dog bed and bowl (for a small charge). You can also take your dog with you when you want to dine in the hotel restaurant, so there’s no need for your dog to stay in your room while you eat!
Go to the West Park Hotel for:
- Great central Harrogate location – opposite the Stray park (for dog walks)
- Excellent breakfast in the bar area with your doggo
- A touch of luxury and really good, locally sourced food
Take a peek at the accommodations at the West Park Inn here. It’s very popular with locals (always a great sign).
Location: 1-3 Crescent Rd, Harrogate, North Yorkshire HG1 2RS
Dogs are allowed in both bars and in the attractive beer garden but must be kept on a lead at all times. Dogs are not permitted when the bar is very busy (even in the beer garden), as it’s far too easy for paws to be accidentally trodden on.
Go to Hales Bar for…
- its Instagram-worthy interior and exterior
- the possibility of meeting the pub ghost!
- a chance to see where part of the blockbuster movie Chariots of Fire was filmed
You may also like
- Major Tom’s Social: Easily the coolest of the dog friendly pubs and restaurants in Harrogate
- The Old Bell Tavern: A historic hostelry with a warm and welcoming vibe for dogs and their humans
- Balterzens: A seriously popular and very chic Scandinavian coffee shop with fabulous home-baked pastries
- Caffe Nero: A typically relaxed Caffe Nero with great coffee, big squidgy sofas, and scrubbed wooden floors, plus a great view of Harrogate, making it perfect for a spot of people watching. You’ll find pooches of all shapes and sizes in here – often sitting in the window and chilling – like an advertisement for dog friendly Yorkshire!
- Brio Cafe: Packed to the rafters with delicious Italian pastries and seriously good coffee, Brio is tucked away in a pretty little side street well worth hunting down. Do try the cannoli while you’re there – they are fabulous!
More Yorkshire Travel Resources
If you’re headed to Yorkshire, do check out what to pack for Yorkshire.
Pin this guide to the Best Dog Friendly Restaurants Harrogate to Pinterest for Later!
What do you think?
Have you found any great dog-friendly Yorkshire locations? Do share your favourites in the comments below.