Hello! I’m Coralie, the travel writer and photographer behind Grey Globetrotters.
Here’s a little about me.
I’m a 50-something travel addict based in Yorkshire, with a full-time job that I love. I make the most of annual leave and weekends with day trips and city breaks. Over the years, I’ve racked up lots of travel and amazing experiences.
In 2018, I started travel blogging as an experiment. I came home from a trip to China and I needed a new project to fill the long winter evenings – to keep me away from chocolate.
So, I splurged on a posh camera, learned how to use it and started writing about my travels. I hoped a few friends and my family wouldn’t find reading my posts too tedious – after all, they’ve always
said they were been curious about my travels.
Travelling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller
When total strangers started to visit my little blog and leave nice comments, gosh, I was stunned and I’m still a bit perplexed that folks I’ve never met seem to quite like reading about my jolly jaunts.
Incredibly, my little hobby blog has flourished and grown like a weed, to almost 20,000 visitors a month!
As I work full time and have no current plans to blog full time, I’m happy blogging part-time (until I decide to retire!). This little hobby pays for me and my son to travel and that makes me very happy.
When I’m not working, writing my blog, or visiting new places, I’m a mum, a bell-ringer, and a dog mum. Bertie the sprocker came into my life just before the first Covid lockdown and helped to keep me and my teenager sane (ish) during those difficult months. I also read avidly, love afternoon tea and don’t mind the odd G&T. I also like cheese. A lot. Oh, and cake.
What kind of travel do I write about?
Most of my travels are within the UK, although I also take regular European city breaks, and bigger trips too whenever I can.
I was incredibly lucky to grow up in Jersey in the British Channel Islands. I still have family there, so I visit the island often and like to write about some of the lesser-known things to do there, like walking more than a mile out on the seabed to Seymour Tower, or taking a rib trip to the amazing Les Ecrehous reef.
My travel style
- I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than go on all-inclusive, roast by the pool all day package holiday, and while I love a good long walk, hiking up mountains and extreme sports are not my bag.
- I often travel solo, so it makes no sense for me to blow my budget on luxury hotels with a hefty old single supplement, but I’m well past thinking about hostels either. If a hotel is safe, clean and comfortable I’m good to go.
- I love to capture scenic sunrises; explore cathedrals, castles and museums; stroll along pretty streets; tuck into local food, and take day trips on trains (there are no trains in Jersey, so felt deprived as a child).
You can get in touch with me by email or on social media.
Places I’ve visited
I’ve not blogged about everywhere I’ve been (I’m working on it!)
The British Isles
- England – I live here and I’ve visited more places than you could shake a stick at. I spend a lot of time in Harrogate, Leeds and York, but have also lived in London, Birmingham, and Hull. I love exploring Yorkshire, and Saltburn on Sea is one of my favourite weekend getway spots
- The Channel Islands – I grew up in Jersey, and know Guernsey, Herm, Sark and Les Ecrehous well too
- The Isle of Man – Douglas
- Scotland – Edinburgh, Inverness, Pitlochry
- Wales – Chirk
Rest of Europe
- Austria – Kitzbuhel, Solden and Hochsolden
- Belgium – Antwerp, Brussels
- Bulgaria – Borovets, Pamporovo, Sofia
- Cyprus – Paphos
- France – Biarritz, Dol de Bretagne, La Rochelle, Paris, Rennes, St Malo, St Tropez
- Germany – Cologne, Hamburg, Lubeck, Munster
- Greece – Athens, Crete, Rhodes, Samos, Santorini, Skiathos, Spetses, Thassos, Zakynthos
- Ireland – Dublin (but only on a very boozy weekend with work in the days when I could cope with more than one G&T!)
- Italy – Rome, Venice
- Luxembourg – Luxembourg City
- Portugal – Albufeira, Faro
- Slovenia – Bled, Kranska Gora
- Spain – Calpe, Gran Canaria, Madrid, Mallorca
- Switzerland – Geneva, Zurich
- The Netherlands – I lived here too! Amsterdam, Leiden, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht
- Turkey – Bodrum, Izmir
- Vatican City
- China – Beijing, Guilin, Shanghai, Suzhou, Yangshuo, Xian
- Hong Kong
- India – Agra, New Delhi
- Indonesia – Bali
- Nepal – Chitwan, Kathmandu
- Thailand – Bangkok, Kanchanburi
- Egypt – Aswan, Cairo, Hurghada, Luxor, Hurghada, Siwa Oasis
- Canada – Toronto, Niagara Falls
- United States – San Diego, San Francisso, Los Angeles, Seattle
- Australia – Adelaide, Kangaroo Island
Most of the photos on my blog are my own, but sometimes shots just don’t come out well or the weather doesn’t play ball, so I do use stock photos too occasionally – fully acknowledged.
Ready to get started?
Thanks for stopping by. I can’t wait to inspire your travel adventures.